You made it into Week 3! Have you managed to stay on track and do at least one of the exercises every day? It’s hard to get into a new routine, but hopefully you’ve found time to fit in your Jump into January challenge.
So here’s a round-up of Week 2:
- Wall Sit
- Russian Twists
- Tricep Dips
- Knee-up (Reverse) Crunches
- Mountain Climbers
- Glute Bridge
Putting these all together will give you a really good workout. Do each exercise 2 or 3 times before moving on to the next, or run through them all once and then repeat the full circuit 2 or 3 times. Combine them with Week 1 for a full-body workout that will really get the heart pumping.
I hope you’re all excited to get into Week 3 so without further delay, let’s go….
Day 15 – Straight Arm Plank
1. You’ll need a mat or towel and a timer for this one. Set it to 45 seconds (or more, if you’re feeling energetic!)
2. Start by lying on your front on the mat or towel
3. Raise your body up onto your arms, keeping your shoulders over your hands
4. Your back should be straight (you should be flat from your shoulders to your heels)
5. Don’t raise or drop your hips – tilt your pelvis forwards to maintain the position and engage your core muscles
6. Hold this for a minimum of 45 seconds
7. Remember to breathe deeply throughout
Day 16 – Heel Touches
1. You’ll need a mat or towel for this one
2. Lie on your back with your knees bent and hands by your sides
3. NOTE: the further away your heels are from your butt, the more you’ll work the obliques
4. Bending sideways, touch your heel with your hand, alternating left and right
5. Continue this for 30 reps (1 rep = a left AND right touch)
6. NB: Only your shoulders should be off the floor, don’t sit up to touch your heel
7. Remember to breathe deeply thoughout
8. Click here for a short demo
9. Don’t forget to wear appropriate clothing and footwear!
Day 17 – Press-ups
1. You’ll need your mat or towel
2. Lie on the floor supporting your body on straight arms
3. Your shoulders should be over your hands and your back should be straight – don’t let the hips raise or drop
4. Breathe in and lower yourself towards the floor – don’t go all the way down
5. Breathing out, push your body up until you’re arms are straight
6. Engaging your core muscles will help to maintain a straight back
7. If you need to, you can rest on your knees
8. The important thing is to go as low as you can
9. Continue this for a minimum of 10 reps
10. See the video demo for a bit of extra guidance
Day 18 – Bicycle Crunches
1. You’ll need your mat / towel and timer for this one. Set it to 30 seconds (or more, if you’re feeling really energetic!)
2. Lie on your back, hands behind your head, elbows out
3. Engage your abdominal muscles, lift only your shoulders off the floor
4. At the same time, raise your right knee and try to touch your left elbow to your knee
5. Switch legs and elbows
6. It’s just like riding a bike!
7. Continue this for at least 45 seconds
8. If you want to increase the difficulty, don’t put your feet down as you switch legs
9. Make sure you’re using your body NOT just bringing your elbows in. Keep your elbows out to the side at all times
10. Remember to breathe deeply throughout
11. See the video demo for extra guidance
Day 19 – Squats
1. Start by standing with feet shoulder-width apart
2. Hinge at the hips and go as low as you can (as if you’re trying to sit down in a low chair)
3. Don’t let the knees collapse inwards, try to maintain that shoulder-width gap
4. Stretch your arms straight out in front as you squat (this helps with balance plus it makes the exercise that bit harder)
5. All of your weight should be through your heels. If you can’t wiggle your toes at the bottom of the squat, you’re not sitting back far enough
6. Squeeze through the glutes and the back of the legs as you come up to fully standing
7. Continue this for at least 20 reps
8. Keep your head up, look forward at all times
9. See the video demo for some extra guidance if you need it
Day 20 – Flutter Kicks
1. You’ll need your mat / towel and the timer for this one. Set it to a minimum of 30 seconds (if you’re feeling energetic, go for 45!!)
2. Lie on your back, arms by your sides, legs straight
3. Tilt your pelvis up so that your lower back is in contact with the floor – try to maintain this throughout, it will protect your back and make your abs work harder
4. Raise your feet a few inches off the floor, then kick your legs up and down (like a “swimming” motion). Kick from the hips with straight legs, not by bending at the knees!
5. Continue this for a minimum of 30 seconds
6. If you can’t keep your feet raised it’s OK to return them to the floor, but make sure you control the movement – don’t let them slam into the floor!
7. Try to maintain a fluid movement making sure your lower back stays in contact with the floor
8. Remember to breathe deeply and keep the core locked throughout
9. See the video demo if you need more guidance
Day 21 – Bird Dog
1. You’ll need your mat / towel for this one
2. Start on the floor on all fours
3. Lift one leg off the floor and point it straight out behind you, at the same time raising the opposite arm and pointing it in front of you
4. Hold this pose for 1-2 seconds then return back to the floor
5. Repeat with the other arm / leg
6. Continue until you have completed 10 reps on each side
7. Keep your core tight to maintain your balance
8. Be careful not to arch your back, try to keep it nice and flat
9. See the video guide below
10. Don’t forget to wear appropriate clothing / footwear!
Well done! That’s Week 3 complete.
Remember, you can put these together in any order, pair them up to work a particular body area or do them all for a full-body workout. You get out what you put in, so increase your time or your reps each time if you want to see progress.
See you in Week 4!